JQ Shredded Beef Pie
Pie filling ingredients:
- 1 kg of beef skirt
- 1 cup of red wine (optional, but creates amazing flavour)
- 1 handful of cubed sweet potato
- 1 sliced red onion
- 1 large handful of mushrooms
- Salt & pepper
Topping ingredients - Cauliflower
- 1 Chopped Cauliflower head
- 2 Chopped Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 Cup Double Cream
- Handful of Mature Cheddar Cheese
LETS GET COOKING!
- Place a deep casserole dish over a medium heat and add in some olive oil. After a couple of minutes, add in the red onion and fry for about 6 minutes, then remove it from the dish and place in a bowl on the side. This will be added into the dish later on again.
- Use the same casserole dish and add in some olive oil and immediately add in the beef skirt, season it with salt, black pepper and also add in the garlic cloves. Fry the beef for about 10 minutes on a medium - high heat until brown and stir every minute. Now add in the whole cup of wine or a cup of water and 1 dessert spoon unsalted butter, cook the meat for another 8 minutes until there is only a bit of liquid left in the bottom of the dish, sometimes it can take a bit longer. Make sure not to cook the meat until there is no liquid left at all and give a stir every minute so it doesn't burn to the bottom of the dish.
- Add in boiling water to cover 3/4 of all the meat, the meat shouldn't be totally submerged under the water. Turn the heat down below medium (low-medium), let it cook for 10 minutes and then give a stir. Now for the most important part, I place the lid on top to help cook the meat a bit faster and every 8 - 10 minutes I have a look at the dish to make sure there is still some sauce remaining, you have to add boiling water again if there is about half an inch left at the bottom. Add in water until it covers about 3/4 of the meat again and make sure to stir. This process needs to be repeated for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- After 1 hour, add in the sweet potato and after 1 hour and 20 minutes, add in the red onion. Start stirring the dish every 5 minutes and this will help the meat to start breaking up.
- 1 hour and 40 minutes into cooking, add in the mushrooms and fine beans and continue to stir frequently. By this time the meat should be very soft and falling apart.
- Continue cooking the meat until it's completely shredded and soft.If you think it needs to cook longer, keep going, just make sure it doesn't become dry. Add in small amounts of water to keep some sauce. At the end when the meat is done, it should be juicy and not swimming in sauce, by this time most of the sauce will be gone.
- About 15 minutes before the meat is done, place a medium saucepan over a medium heat and add in unsalted butter or coconut oil. Once melted, add in the cauliflower and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently and don't let it burn, if it becomes a bit dry, add in more butter. After 10 minutes, add in the double cream and let it simmer for about 3 minutes on a low heat. By this time the cauliflower should be soft, start mashing it with a wooden spoon but don't make it smooth.
- Scoop the shredded beef into a shallow oven dish and top evenly with the cauliflower. Spread the cheese over the top and place under a pre heated grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese turns a bit brown on the top.
If you would like to have the Sweet Potato topping instead, follow the below instructions: -
- 2 Handfuls of cubed sweet potato
LETS GET COOKING!
- Place the sweet potato in a oven dish, drizzle over olive oil and then place in a pre heated oven for about 30 - 35 minutes. It should be soft by this time, use a fork to make sure you can easily mash the sweet potato. If it's ready, remove from the oven and place in a small bowl. Mash it with the fork but don't make it smooth.
- Now add the shredded beef into a oven dish and top with the sweet potato. Spread it out evenly. Place the dish under a pre heated grill and cook it for about 5 minutes until it goes a bit brown and crispy on the top.