Chicken Curry With Cashew Nuts & Sweet Potato
- 2 Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 Chopped Red Onion
- Handful of cubed Sweet Potato
- 1/4 Sliced Red Pepper
- 1/4 Sliced Yellow Pepper
- Small handful of Cashew Nuts - optional
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp hot or mild Curry Powder
The dish I used in the picture is a big cast iron dish for cooking on the gas or on top of the oven. For only 2 chicken thighs, use a smaller deep dish.
LET’S GET COOKING
- Place a small deep oven dish on a medium.
- heat and add in some olive oil. After a couple of minutes, add in the onion and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Now add in the chicken and 1 dessert spoon unsalted butter or coconut oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper and fry for 10 minutes until the chicken turns golden brown. Turn chicken over every minute.
- Season all of the chicken with the seasoning listed above and give a good stir for about 1 minute.
- Now add in 1/2 cup of boiling water and keep stirring. Turn the heat to medium - low. The total cooking time for the chicken should be around 1 hour. Stir it every 10 minutes and use a wooden spoon after about 40 minutes to start breaking up the meat. Eventually the meat will completely fall off the bone. Tip - Once the water/sauce starts to disappear, add in a bit more. I add in 1/2 cup of double cream after 45 minutes to create a more creamy sauce. The more frequently you stir the chicken towards the end, the more the meat will separate from the bones.
- Always taste the food to make sure it has flavour. After 40 minutes of cooking I would taste the sauce and the meat, if it needs more seasoning, then I will add more.
- After 15 minutes of cooking the chicken, start frying the sweet potato. Add a small frying pan over a medium heat, add in some unsalted butter or coconut oil.
- Once melted, add in the sweet potato and fry for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Stir the sweet potato every minute so it doesn’t burn.
- With 10 minutes to go before the chicken is ready, add in the red and yellow pepper and cook till the end. At this point you can also add in the cashew nuts or just sprinkle it over the top after serving up.
- Time to serve up. First add the chicken curry into a shallow bowl and then add in the sweet potato. Top with some fresh parsley for extra flavour.